Market Day

As students rush to the commons for lunch as they normally would, instead of lining up in the lunch lines or even leaving for lunch, a crowd gathers around the front office to enjoy the tasty treats at this year’s YE Market Day. An annual tradition for nearly 14 years, Market Day is run by students in Youth Entrepreneurs (YE) class.
YE is a class designed to teach high school students in over 30 schools across Kansas and Missouri the importance of entrepreneurial and business education. An essential part of the class is Market Day.
Before the students could play, work had to be done. Students divided into groups and created a “Market Day business plan.” The plan is designed around a real business plan to help students understand the process and struggle of owning a business of their own–the purpose of Market Day.
“I don’t think it’s hard at all, just stressful because we had to do everything on our own,” junior Hannah Howe said.
Howe was a part of a group with junior Nick Cramer and sophomore Dylan Gates. Striving for originality, the team decided to sell Chick-fil-a, a new restaurant to native west-siders.
“Its always risky doing a new business, because you aren’t sure of the outcome, but it’s also good to take chances,” business teacher Jeff Darr said.
While many breezed through the project, problems inevitably arose. One group, consisting of sophomores Ky-Sean Johnson and Brendan Johnson, experienced typical business issues.
“Our original plan was to sell pancakes, but unfortunately our order wasn’t ready,” Johnson said, “So our plan B was to sell McDonald’s cookies.”
Despite a few complications, many of the YE students enjoyed their experience. Johnson said he enjoyed when lunch was over and time to count up the money he made. Apart from the experience of owning your own business, students are able to keep the money they earned and divide it amongst their group.
“Make that money boo boo,” former YE student senior Truman Shumway jokes as he remembers participating in Market Day last year.
Recalling past Market Days, seniors Corbin Minor, Justus Kauffman, Megan Jamis and Kyle Lee give their personal advice for next year students to think outside the box, and have a good group to work with.
“You have to hope for the best but prepare for the worst,” Johnson said.