Empowering Seniors: Job Fair opens doors to new career paths

In an informational interview about the Senior Job fair, College and Career Coordinator LaShona Jones gave an in-depth and detailed preview of what to expect and the positive outcomes from this event.

“This year’s job fair clientele is 75 employers throughout the city of Wichita and surrounding areas that are in desperate need of employees,” Jones said.

This in turn increases students chances of being hired and makes finding work easier than before. When asked on how this significantly helps WPS students on the path to success, Jones said, “They give opportunities for students who want to go into the workforce to gain decent employment and to work their way up in the job market.”

With opportunities like that, some seniors may be quick to take the chance but often times they might have conflicting schedules like school and other personal responsibilities.

“Ideally a lot of the employers want full-time employees … there will be some part time opportunities. The positive is that a lot of intern opportunities are paid internships,” Jones said.

The specific industry fields attending this event are Textron, Cessna, USD259, Wichita YMCA, The City of Wichita, and Davis Moore automotive along with the 70 other  industries & companies that look to hire Seniors right out of High School.

“Every senior that’s coming to the job fair today , I want to encourage them to get a business card, submit a resume, shake hands with somebody and get to know people,” Jones said.

Overall this event aims to give Seniors an opportunity for advancement in their lives after High School.