Three Years, Three Coaches

In the last three years, the Northwest volleyball team has had three different varsity coaches. Each time they have been faced with different coaching styles, different chemistry and a different coach.

It began at the end of the 2010 season when Coach Popp left after her husband accepted a head-coaching job in Arkansas. Replacing Coach Popp was Coach Dolie-McHatton, without confirmed reason left after the 2011 season, who is now the head coach at Heights. Now it is the 2012 season, with Coach Craig Smith who is hoping to successfully lead the team to great season. “Every year, we had to readjust to the change and every year it’s harder to get into the flow of things,” senior defensive specialist Erika David said.

With previous coaches, many players on the team had mixed feelings. Despite this, the teammates feel as though the new coach has been a great addition to the team and has increased their performance and efficiency on the court. “[Coach Smith] is awesome. He’s really good with communicating with us, off and on the court, which was something we lacked last year,” David said.

With better communication, new tactics and efficiency on the court, the team is expecting a promising season. With the disappointment of finishing 8th at state last season, the team is not expecting anything less than the best.

Senior middle/hitter Shayla Cotman said, “I expect we will make it to state, in addition to taking a undefeated city league title. I feel like the state has us underestimated. Everyone knows we are good; they just don’t know how good we really are this season.”

There are nine seniors on varsity team, eight of which have gone through the transition of a new coach and have played the majority of their volleyball careers together. “It is awesome playing with these girls, we all started together in back seventh grade and now we will finished our senior season together,” Cotman said.

As the volleyball teams continues to with their undefeated streak. Northwest will play in the Maize Invitational on Sept. 15.

__________

Words by Amanda Johnson|Sports Editor