Northwest Welcomes Freshmen to the 2023-2024 School Year

Maddie Dooling
Seniors Josee Hoshaw and Jana Orief lead freshmen on a tour of the school.

Bright and early Monday morning, August 14, 2023, Northwest High school welcomed our freshmen. There were 367 freshmen students who were navigating the halls, learning about the school’s culture and schedule.

The first week of school is different for everyone- freshmen are transitioning and rushing around trying to figure out the hallway system and how to be a high school student. Freshman Casey Stuart said the beginning of the year was an adjustment. 

“It was cool, kind of a bit boring. Awkward, though, because no one wanted to talk in class,” Stuart said.

Ike Childs said Northwest was better than his previous school.

“It was pretty good, a lot calmer. Not as many fights surprisingly,” Childs said. 

One big difference, the freshmen have noticed, between high school and middle school is block scheduling and time difference. Here at Northwest, class periods are 80 minutes long, which some students were finding hard to get used to. 

“..classes aren’t too hard. Just longer periods and that’s annoying,” Childs said.

Another change from middle school is lunch organization, everyone going at the same time. A benefit that seemed popular is being able to hang out with different grades. 

“I like being able to hang out with upperclassmen since there’s not many cool freshmen,” Childs said.