Standard Referenced Grading on break

Standard Referenced Grading on break

The SRG grading system is a grading scale that has been increasingly used in classes. It is a system used by our teachers to help kids on their behalf with their understanding of the subject or even unit.  But here at Northwest High School the grading system is reverting back to how it normally was a few years ago.

Part of the reason for the change was general confusion.

“A lot of kids didn’t understand the grading part of SRG which made our students not like it and made them even more uninterested in the grading system,” Principal Eric Hofer-Holdeman said. 

According to assistant principal Hammond “We are still using the SRG planning system for assignments.” 

Some teachers and students said it gives a better understanding of the assignment and for students to know the exact detail within the topic or unit. 

The power law was a big part in why some believed SRG was taken away from Northwest. The power laws weighted later assignments heavier than assignments from earlier in the semester.   

USD 259 is preparing students to be successful in college and more, with having SRG for students a while back that did not use our SRG weren’t prepared for the grading system in college and other educational fields according to Assistant Principal Charlie Bartsch,

“In college they don’t use SRG which would make USD 259 goals no where they are wanting them too. While now at Northwest we can prepare students for their next level of education and help them achieve their goals,” Bartsch said.  

Students at Northwest were happy with this change, CJ Mertes (12) was one of the students that were happy with this change.

“I was happy with this change because it felt like it would bring my grade down and cause me to have stress about what my grades were,” Mertes said.