Last year’s musical controversy causes no problems for the 2012-2013 school year

Last year’s attempted production of the musical “13” was met with much controversy, and caused quite a stir amongst the student body. Students in the drama department were claiming that the administration had no business in censoring their material, while the administration, after receiving numerous phone calls from enraged parents, was forced to take charge of the fall musical. Ultimately the show was deemed inappropriate for a school production, and the drama department had to choose something different.

This year, both Principal Karen Pickert and drama teacher Richard Lundin agree that there shouldn’t be any problems.

Fortunately for this year’s musical, “Flight of the Lawnchair Man”, drama teacher Richard Lundin made sure to pick something less racy than last year. The musical centers around a young man who aspires to fly, but unfortunately is always being put down by his overbearing mother who believes he should act more maturely. A theme that Lundin believes will not only appropriate for students, but intellectually stimulating as well.

“You always have to somehow work within the parameters of your area, and those parameters have changed…that’s really the only thing–just figuring out those parameters, and finding shows that work within those [parameters],” Lundin said.

For Principal Karen Pickert, last year’s ordeal was something that she never wanted to see happen, and predicts a ‘drama-free’ year for the school’s productions.

“I have total trust in Mr. Lundin. I don’t foresee there being any problems,” Pickert said.

Drama club president Doanna Ayon says that although she believes that they are losing some value by having to be more selective about shows, she and the rest of the drama students are excited about the new year.

“There are some musicals and plays out there that have a really good message that high schoolers should learn, but we can’t put them out there…We’re all coming with a ‘this is a clean slate’ and we’re just going to take this and rock it to make up for what happened last year,” Ayon said. Students and administrators alike look forward to a cooperative and successful year for the Northwest drama department. “Flight of the Lawnchair Man” can be seen on October 5, 6, and 7 in the Northwest auditorium.

_________

Words by Will Erickson|Copy Editor