• Welcome to the Northwest Explorer, the official newspaper of Northwest High!
The Student Voice of Wichita Northwest High School

Northwest Explorer

Northwest Explorer

Northwest Explorer

Foreign exchange students express views on American culture

Boarding the plane in South Korea to begin her journey to America, Annie Hyu Ri Jang waves goodbye to her family with many different thoughts racing through her mind.

“I had no idea what to expect of America,” Hyu said, “I was nervous and I felt sorry for my family because I would miss them.”

Some people, when given the chance, would not step out of their comfort zone. Jang, on the other hand, is among several other exchange students who jumped at the opportunity.

It wasn’t an easy decision for each of them,but for Jana Karbstein from North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, it was like choosing her favorite pair of shoes to wear.

“In Germany many people have different opinions of Americans and my dad also visited when he was younger and said it was a good experience so i decided to experience it for myself,“ Karbstein said.

Even with the stereotypes that Americans are obese couch potatoes, eat tons of fast food, and are consumed with technology. Many of the exchange students give Americans the benefit of doubt. Peter Scheuenstuhl doesn’t.

“It’s true about fast food,” Scheuenstuhl joked, “but I hear Americans are rednecks and I haven’t seen any…yet!”

Ana Valeria Zacamo-Coyac, from Mexico, has her own perspective on Americans.

“They [Americans] have everything handed to them, they don’t have to work and they waste everything,” Coyac said.

She believes that Americans are more wasteful, and doesn’t understand our consumeristic culture.

“All the opportunity Americans have that they waste, don’t they know kids are helpless and starving and they throw away food,” Coyac said.

__________

Words by Brittney Langston|Reporter