A color controversy

Fall means two things: football and pep rallies. Usually the highlight of those pep rallies are the  cheerleaders and the dance team. This year, you might be drawn to something other than their moves because the cheerleaders are sporting a new royal blue and yellow.

“Mrs. Pickert bought this year’s uniform,” senior Kaleigh Lorenz said. “Normally [the cheerleaders] have to pay for their own uniforms.”

In the past those uniforms have been the generic navy blue and gold like the football team. With this year’s uniforms being royal blue instead of the usual navy and gold, much confusion has come as to what the actual school colors are. Whether it is a navy blue or a royal one.

“When the school opened up the colors were a royal blue and gold,” Principal Karen Pickert said. “In the early 90s some of the coaches started useing a navy blue.”

Well after years of navy blue it seems Northwest teams are going back to their roots.

“Last year the boys basketball team got new uniforms and they were royal,” cheer coach Tiffany Houle said. “[We] got royal uniforms to match the team.”

With the boys basketball team and the soccer team using royal blue on their uniforms matching the team is an easy concept to grasp. One question still remains: why change them this year and not earlier?

“There has always been talk about returning to the traditional colors,” Houle said. “[The cheer team] just didn’t know untill basketball season last year.”
Not all teams have switched to the royal blue. The football team is still using the navy and gold uniforms. The cheerleaders have kept their navy ones so that they can still match the team  but that doesn’t solve the school colors issue.

“The school’s colors are royal blue and gold,” Pickert said.

Slowly but surely the navy is fading and the royal blue is making its way to the front line.

__________

Words by Aarom Bloom|Managing Editor