• Welcome to the Northwest Explorer, the official newspaper of Northwest High!
The Student Voice of Wichita Northwest High School

Northwest Explorer

Northwest Explorer

Northwest Explorer

Students compete at Kansas State Fair

Northwest sends 3 groups to the 2023 Kansas State Fair to compete in various competitions against other high schools.
Juniors+Lizzie+Terry+and+Conor+White+interview+an+exhibitor+at+the+State+Fair+on+Sept.+11.+They+were+assigned+a+story+about+the+cotton+industry+for+their+print+competition.+
Saharah Hall
Juniors Lizzie Terry and Conor White interview an exhibitor at the State Fair on Sept. 11. They were assigned a story about the cotton industry for their print competition.

On Monday, Sep 11, 2023 Northwest sent their Press team, Video team, and three photographers to compete at the Kansas State Fair. Although it was raining all day non-stop, they put in the work and got it done. The Press team had eight hours to make and finish a four page newspaper based on the categories they received all dealing with things that were going on around the fair.

“I had a really exciting time at the state fair! It was a really educating experience because I learned how important it was to use your time well and create a story that draws attention. My favorite part was probably getting to just walk around and see other people having a good time hanging out with each other despite the rain. All the moods were high,” Aubrynn Lindrey (12) said .

The Video team had three topics: Small business, First Aid, and Agriculture, which they then had to create thirty second clips of each representing the topic. One of the five on the video team Ayah Gharbi(12) says her favorite part of the trip was “Getting in the State Fair for free.”

As for the three photographers Rylan Biggs, Kit O’Grady, and Samya Slater all competed in a photography internship in which they had to turn in four photographs within the categories of Food, Action, Agriculture, and Non-Agriculture.

“It was really interesting being able to take pictures at the fair and not just the school,” Kit O’Grady (12) said.

Although it won’t be announced for a while if anyone has placed yet one photo from photographer Slater and another from O’Grady did make it to the top #20 and are awaiting the finishing votes for best overall picture.

“I am very excited and proud of myself that one of my pictures made it to the top 20 and has a chance of winning the best overall picture,” Slater said.