• Welcome to the Northwest Explorer, the official newspaper of Northwest High!
The Student Voice of Wichita Northwest High School

Northwest Explorer

Northwest Explorer

Northwest Explorer

What’s the deal with the cell phone ban?

As a new year of school starts, new rules are often introduced. This year the student population has seen a huge shift in rules with two sticking out the most. Firstly ID’s are mandatory, and secondly all use of cell phones during class has been prohibited. Leading to a general level of turbulence in the classroom with students and teachers often butting heads over the new policy.

Along with this several students believe that the new restrictions on phones can negatively impact their education, as Channing Aiken a senior puts it, “Simply teachers used cell phones for educational uses, whether it be for games like Kahoot, or things like if a website is blocked.” This creates an interesting point that phones do have a level of educational use, one that can’t easily be replaced by the heavily restricted laptops that students receive at the beginning of the year. 

However, even some students can admit how distracting they can be and how bad it can throw off their work. As Johnny Huynh a junior puts it, “I think I used my cell phone in like all my classes… I couldn’t get any work done.” This shows that at least even a few students can recognize the harmful potential cell phones can have on education.As for the new students, many of whom weren’t able to use cell phones previously in middle school, many of them aren’t super passionate. Casey Helms a freshmen states, “I was kinda excited to have phones, but at the end of the day it isn’t a big deal.” Overall this best represents how students have varying thoughts on the new rule, and the change it will have on the classroom environment both positive and negative.